Got the Flu?
Our lab now offers a Respiratory Pathogen Panel to keep you Healthy.
What is RPP Testing?
RPP is a qualitative test that will identify DNA from respiratory viruses and bacteria extracted from nasopharyngeal swabs from individuals with clini- cal signs and symptoms of a respiratory tract infection.
This panel employs PCR (polymerase chain reaction) technology which is used to “amplify” small quantities of nucleic acid into detectable levels which leads to accurate results Our office now offers the RPP test for 20 cold viruses and bacteria infections.
This test can prove that a patient actually has a virus and does not need antibiotics, thereby affirming a provider’s decision to avoid drugs that are unnecessary and can have significant side effects.
High Risk Patients
• Children younger than 2 years of age
• Adults 65 years or older
• Pregnant women
Individuals who have the following medical conditions:
- Weakened Immune System
- Chronic Heart Disease
- Lung Disease
- Kidney Disease
- Liver Disease
- Disease (Diabetes)
- Transplant Patient
Respiratory Pathogen Panel
The RPP Test can pinpoint the Influenza virus and a number of other respiratory viruses and/or Pneumonia bacteria so your physician can treat it swiftly and accurately; therefore, it could reduce its severity and illness timeframe. Treatment protocols for bacterial respiratory pathogens are vastly different than those for viral pathogens so knowing the pathogen is key to proper and effective treatment.
Molecular testing is far superior to the screen testing traditionally used in physicians’ offices.
- The RPP panel employs PCR or (Polymerase Chain Reaction) to amplify specific nucleic acid sequences with the pathogens genetic make-up.
- Our limits of detection are far superior to conventional screen methods as we employ PCR technology, allowing us to amplify small quantities of nucleic acid into detectable levels.
- Typical symptoms can be dry or productive cough, runny nose, lethargy, abnormal sputum, fever, body aches.
- They may be asymptomatic and growing the infection. Their bodies keep the disease in check, until It can’t anymore and they become sick.
Look Beyond the Flu
Because a large number of pathogens cause respiratory infections, tests that only identify Flu A and B run the risk of missing the real culprit. Many rapid influenza diagnostic tests sacrifice accuracy for speed, with sensitivities ranging from 50-70%.
The Respiratory Panel (RP) provides an accurate, comprehensive alternative to targeted Influenza testing, and will detect a greater number of pathogens no matter the season or time of year.
WANT MORE INFO?